Monday, July 5, 2010

Reflections on Team Up 2010 from Coach Liz the Whiz

It's been about a week since I've been back from South Africa. As I sit and reflect on the experience, I am realizing just how special it was. I have shared, learned, and grown so much because of those ten days and had tons of fun while doing it. I think I can speak for everyone when I say it was an unforgettable experience and I hope the Team Up trip tradition continues. I didn't know what to expect when I decided to buy my ticket to South Africa, but I am so glad I did. The trip truly exceeded by expectations and then some. I got to meet some of the greatest people, including teachers, student athletes and students from both DC and South Africa. I got to learn about the South African culture through touring Nelson Mandela's home and the Hector Peterson Museum, listening to Edwin Cameron in the Constitution Court, and going on a safari. In addition to all of those amazing things, I was even able to meet two Women National team players including gold medalist, Hope Solo, and go to not one but two world cup games! However, even after all of those things, I can honestly say that I enjoyed the time I spent with the teachers, coaches, and students of DC and Soweto the most. I will definitely miss each of them and will always take with me what I have learned from them. Colliding the two different cultures of DC and South Africa through the same very prevalent problem of HIV/AIDS was not easy but was most definitely worthwhile. I believe the Team Up crew has paved the way in keeping the program alive for many years to come. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this program. Johannesburg was excited to invite the world to South Africa, and I am so happy I went!

Liz Hillin


No comments:

Post a Comment